Bundling retina images only in iOS apps
Can we use retina images only for iOS apps? Do apps work on 3GS devices without the non-retina images.
Please help me?
Thanks in advance.
5 Solutions Collect From Internet About “Bundling retina images only in iOS apps”
The only non-retina images needed for an iOS app is the icon and the default image.
For all in-app images, it’s fine to bundle retina versions only and let non-retina devices scale them down. I’ve done it myself on a few occasions to get below the cellular network download limit on App Store and I’ve never been rejected because of that.
Of course, not providing non-retina images may decrease performance and image quality on older devices due to the required down-scale operations, but that may be fine if you really need to decrease the app size.
No, you can’t, e.g. the Icon is required in Non-Retina and for the App Store are Retina-Screenshots required, too.
You can test if Retina-Images will automatically resized if there is no Non-Retina available but I can’t say if your app will be rejected or not.
Update: As Retterdesdialogs mentioned, Retina-Images will be resized to Non-Retina, but it’s not recommend and I highly recommend to not do this!
Yes, you can use the larger images, but this could lead to a slower performance if the number of images on the screen is too big.
IPhone 4/4S uses 2x the image dimensions of an iPhone 3GS. If you supply only retina images then the image will be twice the size that it should be on the iPhone 3GS.
You must keep separate images for both iphone 3 and iphone 4 and if the app is in the iphone 4 you can use the images with double the resolution of iphone 3 images.
- Launch image or launch xib / storyboard?
- – throws an exception saying length is too big, but it isn't
- Singleton in iOS 5?
- How to round a Double to the nearest Int in swift?
- Link against the umbrella framework
- Sensor Fusion on iOS Devices
- Continuous integration with Xcode Bots
- Location of Xcode icons
- open UIImagePickerController in landscape mode
- Cocos2D + Disabling only Retina iPad Graphics
- iOS Change the title of cancel button in UISearchBar
- How to move the uiview from left to right and vice versa
- NSInputStream stops running, sometimes throws EXC_BAD_ACCESS
- UICollection View Scroll lag with SDWebImage
- Customizing UILocalNotification's alert