Good resources for learning Objective-C
I have developed for a number of years in Java, primarily for Linux and Windows. During my undergrad and grad school times, I also did quite a bit in C and C++. I have recently (in the last year and a half) started using primarily Apple computers at home, and am interested in exploring their Xcode development environment. I am interested in learning how to use the Cocoa interface, etc. However, I know nothing (or next to nothing) about Objective-C. I am aware it is a pure superset of C, however I am interested in some resources for learning it.
In the past, to teach myself concepts of Swing for Java, I have used O’Reilly books, such as the Swing Bible, Java Swing by Marc Loy et. al. Is there a similar book for Objective-C, or a book that is really good to learn from? I would prefer if it was fairly technical, had examples, etc. Has anyone else attempted to learn Objective-C this way? Are there any specific things I should look at?
Just to note, yes I do have K&R, I have read it too many times to count, and I am aware of C syntax. It has been a while, but I do remember large amounts of it. 🙂 I did see this question, but I did not see any particular resources mentioned, simply some general statements about learning.
- The app references non-public selectors in Payload/<Appname>.app/<App name>: decoder
- Using NSPoint Mouse Tracking on NSView
- Best way to get the ID of the last inserted row on SQLite
- How do I implement the UITapGestureRecognizer into my application
- Setting an object nil versus release+realloc
- What is the correct way to import & save Photos from iPhone Album?
Solutions Collect From Internet About “Good resources for learning Objective-C”
- Concepts in Objective-C Programming and Cocoa Core Compentencies – Apple’s official basic documentation for the language and the Cocoa framework.
- Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X – The definitive book for Cocoa newcomers. It’s actually focused on the Cocoa frameworks more than Objective-C, but still invaluable.
- Programming in Objective-C 2.0 – Focuses on Objective-C itself more than Cocoa; may have more basic information than an experienced programmer would need, but covers plenty of good stuff.
- The “Language” part of Matt Neuberg’s Programming iOS 6 covers Objective-C itself in detail.
- CocoaDevCentral – Excellent tutorials. Start with the “Learn …” and “Objective-C Style” tutorials.
- Stanford’s free CS193E and CS193P courses
- CocoaHeads.org – A large list of resources (books, website, and code) about Cocoa/Objective-C.
- HyperJeff’s Cocoa Literature List – A huge compendium of useful information, etc.
- Cocoa With Love – An excellent blog with specific, useful snippets and in-depth explanation.
- Cocoa Is My Girlfriend – A fun and useful blog (usually) about Cocoa.
- Best Practices for Cocoa Programmers (by Aaron Hillegass) – A bit dated, but contains some nuggets and guidelines for understanding and following Objective-C/Cocoa conventions
- CocoaDev.com wiki – Especially good for specific questions about a specific class or task. (Undergoing updates.)
- The array value should be sort like (alphabetic, numbers and special characters)
- Camera with Custom View
- Is there any ways to detect the roaming status on iOS 6?
- Swift: prepareForSegue with two different segues
- XCode 6: can't connect any IBOutlet to ViewController
- MKMapView MKPointAnnotation tap event
- prepareForSegue and popViewController compatibility
- Change UINavigationBar Height
- Today Extension has a title, but no body iOS 8
- How do I use SWRevealViewController with unwind segues?
- Safari in ios8 is scrolling screen when fixed elements get focus
- Delay the return value instead of whole method
- iOS UIButton with rounded corners and background bug
- How to make MPMoviePlayerController ignore the mute switch
- How to convert text to speech for OSX in Swift playground