How do I type using my keyboard on the iphone simulator?
I used to be able to type with my real mac keyboard after launching the iPhone Simulator. Typing with the on-screen simulator keyboard is just horrible when testing with large amounts of text.
No matter what I do, I can’t get my keyboard to type anymore inside the simulator. Even if I have “Simulate Hardware Keyboard” switched ON, it just won’t type anything. Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong? Is there no way to type using the real keyboard anymore?
- Xcode 6 - Launch simulator from command line
- How to install iOS 7.0 and iOS 8.0 Simulators in Xcode 6.1?
- The tab bar is shifted down outside the borders of the simulator
- How to Install Older iOS Simulators in XCode 4.2.1 (SDK5.0)
- Xcode 6.4 showing duplicate 'Simulators' with Unique Id
- How to change the default Xcode iphone simulator when testing in the terminal?
10 Solutions Collect From Internet About “How do I type using my keyboard on the iphone simulator?”
Try trashing the iPhone Simulator preferences file. When my iPhone Simulator stopped responding to keystrokes, this fixed it.
- Quit the simulator.
- Go to finder and press (command+shift+G) then navigate
com.apple.iphonesimulator.plistto the trash.
- Try launching your iPhone app in the simulator again.
Deleting com.apple.iphonesimulator.plist did not help me under Xcode 6.0.1.
Probably, it worked in old Xcode.
But, what works perfectly for me under Xcode 6.0.1, it is new hot Keys in iOS Simulator:
Shift-Command-K Connect/Disconnect Hardware Keyboard Command-K Toggle (Show/Hide) Software Keyboard
And, you know, I really suffered for last 2 months, until found it, and it is very convenient now))
Don’t trash the iPhone simulator preference files. There’s no need to do this.
Look in the simulator’s menu
Hardware ➔ Keyboard. The menu options are:
- iOS Uses Same Layout as OS X
- Connect Hardware Keyboard ⇧⌘K
- Toggle Software Keyboard ⌘K
Ensure option 2 is checked.
If it’s already checked, uncheck it then check it again (you’ll probably want to learn the keyboard shortcuts).
If you find that this hides the on screen keyboard, but you also want this to show, use option 3 to toggle it back on.
If rotating the simulator seems to stop the keyboard working, toggle option two off then back on – this seems to resolve it.
I am using iOS Simulator Version 7.0. While the simulator was running I went to iOS Simulator->Reset Contents and Settings… and reset the simulator from there. That seemed to have done the trick for me. Hope that helps.
This is because you have used changing the orientation of simulator using keyboard shortcuts. Just press cmd on the mac keyboard then start typing.
All I needed to do was quit the simulator and launch it again
com.apple.iphonesimulator.plist worked for me too, but I had to locate it inside the hidden folder
MY PROBLEM WAS KEYBOARD IS SHOWING AND KEYSTROKES NOT DETECTING. AND I FOUND THE SOLUTION:
You don’t need to quit the keyboard.
Try Hardware->Keyboard->Connect Hardware Keyboard directly
If you are developing a React Native app and you cannot refresh (
⌘R) or enable remote debugging (
⌘D) from the iOS simulator, while other keyboard inputs work, make sure you are running a debug build configuration. You can check this with:
Product -> Scheme -> Edit Scheme -> Run -> Info -> Build Configuration -> Debug"
I got this tip from here.
- iPhone SDK: Custom video player controls
- Strange UIView-Encapsulated-Layout-Height Error
- How to find UIWebView toolbar (to replace them) on iOS 6?
- Cordova iOS Video tag Local File Source
- Loading custom UIView in UIViewController's main view
- How to tranfer the call from one bluetooth device to other bluetooth device from iPhone?
- Nsdateformatter + Timezone issue
- Xcode 7.1 beta 2- Disable ATS
- Create UITextField Extension in Swift with custom styling
- Text/font rendering in OpenGLES 2 (iOS – CoreText?) – options and best practice?
- How to figure out when a HTML5 video player enters the full screen mode on iOS / iPads?
- Use of alloc init instead of new
- How to add seperate iPad and iPhone images in spritebuilder- Cocos2d 3.2
- NSMutableAttributedString's attribute NSStrikethroughStyleAttributeName doesn't work correctly in iOS8
- Slow load time for custom UIView with UITextView property in Swift