iOS Crash Reporter Service / Alternative to MacDevCrashReports.com
I know there is a open source crash reporter framework on GitHub, but I don’t want to put that stuff on a server, configure it and so on. A nice web service would be much nicer.
- iOS download and save image inside app
- How to use different interface declarations at compile time without confusing Interface Builder
- Tried to obtain the web lock from a thread other than the main thread or the web thread. Crashing now
- Playing M4V Protected Content with MPMoviePlayerController or AVPlayer (iOS)
- Responding to touchesBegan in UIPickerView instead of UIView
- UIPageViewController - how Can I jump to a particular page number?
8 Solutions Collect From Internet About “iOS Crash Reporter Service / Alternative to MacDevCrashReports.com”
I’ve been using Crittercism for my iOS and Android apps. It’s saved me a LOT of time. It has a few more features than BugSense and Hoptoad.
MacDevCrashReports is running out, since I am not able to continue providing the service for free, the amount of data is just too huge. 100.000 crash reports e.g. require about 2GB of storage. BUT I am working on a new service with some friends to provide enhanced functionality for managing crash reports and other developer related data. You might want to check for HockeyApp for news about that.
Until then, you can also use the source MacDevCrashReports is based on, on your own web server. It is completely open source and available at GitHub.
The process of collecting crashes is using PLCrashReporter. Which is more reliable and is async-safe. There are also cases of crashes, like crashes in objc runtime, where it will result in a deadlock (Information by Landon Fuller, creator of PLCrashReporter).
Symbolication of PLCrashReporter created crash log files, can be done with the dSYM bundles, check this description.
Regarding the AppStore argument from Peter. As Patrick points out, this is not working for Ad-Hoc builds, which is one big issue, since you want to find and fix the crashes while testing. On the other side, the crash reports in iTunes Connect are very inaccurate:
- The data set only updates once a day
- The data is only available after users sync their devices with iTunes and only IF they agreed sending that data. Since most users don’t understand the dialog, they deny
- You only get a subset of crashes, the top 5
- You don’t get instant reports, as opposed using an in-app reporter
- You don’t get grouping of similar crashes as the web service does
- You don’t get a web interface to work with the crashes, make notes, mark as fixed, etc.
iTunes connect reports for my app to have 0 (zero) crashes, but in my database there are about 200! Check this blog post by futuretap about their experience and findings of using an in-app crash reporter.
There is a new service called BugSense . Give it a shot!
For ad-hoc crash reports you can use TestFlight. It has TestFlights SDK, using which you can collect crash reports and additional data, checkpoints, feedbacks.
If you’re distributing through the App Store, you should get crash reports in iTunes Connect.
We’re playing around with Hoptoad for some apps. Looks to work pretty well.
I’ve used HockeyApp and Crashlytics with great success. HockeyApp is nice in that once you’ve added your IPA file to their service they even provide a download page for you to distribute your build to your testers.
Crashlytics is a little cleaner from a UX perspective but it’s still in beta and has a bit of a wait period whereas HockeyApp you can use immediately and it’s a bit more mature. It also seems Crashlytics gives preference to apps that are already in the app store when you sign up for the program.
You can also check out BugHD,support iOS,Mac & Android Crash Report
- Rearranging Cells in UITableView Bug & Saving Changes
- Retina display VS normal display color difference
- Changing text of UIButton programmatically swift
- Array from dictionary keys in swift
- Objective-C/Xcode 6: Best way to have a Search Bar populate a table view?
- iOS – failed to obtain a cell from its dataSource
- NSURLSession doesn't return data in first call
- How to correctly set alpha of UIView?
- In iOS how can I remove languages from Localizable.strings with Xcode
- Type 'Boolean' does not conform to protocol 'BooleanType'
- Use production CloudKit during development?
- Can't set titleView in the center of navigation bar because back button
- How to dismiss keyboard when touching anywhere outside UITextField (in swift)?
- Is the for loop condition evalutaed each loop in swift?
- NSTextStorage limitation on size and frequency of updates