Is it possible to symbolicate MonoTouch crash dumps and get line numbers out of them?
I have configured my project in the following way:
- Build in release mode
- Checked ‘Enable debugging’ in Project Options -> Build -> iPhone Build -> General tab
- Checked ‘Emit debugging information’ in Project Options -> Build -> Compiler
Now, when I run symbolicatecrash against a dump, I get my method names in the stack trace but with only an offset against them (eg ‘+ 268’) rather than a line number.
I am using MonoTouch 4.21.
- Users say that the iOS app crashes without any further explanation
- Why does simple website crash on mobile (iOS Safari and Chrome, at least)?
- Cannot track down crash
- iOS crash log, backtrace not available
- iOS objc_msgSend crash, with no report or warning given
- Generic Custom Operator Functions: A Curious Case of a Bad * Instruction
2 Solutions Collect From Internet About “Is it possible to symbolicate MonoTouch crash dumps and get line numbers out of them?”
Short answer: I think the issue is with the ahead-of-time (AOT) compiler – but you better email such question to the mono-devel mailing-list to get a definitive answer.
Mono compilers/runtime (and that behavior is inherited by MonoTouch) keeps the debugging information, that includes line numbers, for its assemblies inside mdb files.
XCode works with DWARF (DSYM) files. When XCode symbolicate a crash dump it looks (only) in the (AOT-produced) DWARF symbols to get its information – i.e. the mdb files are not looked up.
Now the Mono debugger (and runtime) can cope with DWARF too (which should fit the bill). However for MonoTouch I’m not sure the AOT compiler (which calls gcc) is producing the final DWARF symbols containing the C# line numbers – resulting in symbols and offsets (both available to gcc) only being available.
- Why HTML5 video doesn't play in IOS 8 WebApp(webview)?
- When is the Scan Credit Card option available on iOS8 Safari?
- Masking a UIView
- Is there a way to do Alamofire requests with retries
- Creating an Xcode data formatter bundle for custom Obj-C objects
- How do I create a new Swift project without using Storyboards?
- UITableView only display 10 cells/rows
- IOS: set a default language in xcode for my app
- Swift string count() vs NSString .length not equal
- How to link to Update page for our app
- Error setting text in collection view cell
- How do you show Xcode's build log? (Trying to verify if iPhone distribution build zip was created correctly.)
- Submission of ios app: invalid team id
- iOS InApp Purchase Receipt Validation iOS 7
- iOS Launch screen in React Native