Private data sharing using CloudKit
Is there a straightforward way to share private data between two or more users using CloudKit?
Public and private date are obvious, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to allow a group of users to organize their own silo to share data amongst themselves without making it available to all the other users of the system and to the app developer.
I have an academic collaboration app in mind but the simplest example would be private messaging between two users.
I guess one could try to build a public key encryption system on top of CloudKit to achieve that, but that’s not what I’m looking for and would scale poorly beyond two users per group.
4 Solutions Collect From Internet About “Private data sharing using CloudKit”
At WWDC 2016, Apple introduced CKShare which addresses this use case. As of Jun 13th, 2016, the beta API is public but undocumented. The sharing API is demonstrated in the WWDC 2016 video What’s new with CloudKit, starting at 19:57.
Technically yes, you can share private data between two our more users with CloudKit. While the data store is public, this does not mean that each user has access to the entire public store. Your design can control access to portions of the public database within each app instance.
By developing an app that uses the public database with unique identifiers for groups of users, and zones using CKRecordZoneNotification for managing notifications, you should be able to create a reasonably secure solution. You decide what reasonably secure means.
Here’s a link to Apple’s docs for CKRecordZoneNotification
Using the public database and encrypting the shared content would work. Might not be too much fun because then you would need to share encryption keys.
- iOS clickable text inside UITextView
- iPhone/iOS: How can I get a list of localized strings in all the languages my app is localized in?
- Using NSJSONSerialization to parse JSON
- When I try to refactor in Xcode, a warning to add the file to the build phase of the target in this workspace appears
- Generics type constraint vs inheritance
- Set text for a textfield in UIWebView
- PrepareForSegue from a UIButton in a custom prototype cell
- Objective-C: Assertion vs. Exception vs. Error
- How to implement a overlay button which is floating over the content view
- iPhone: redirect to app store on mobile safari if app is not installed
- Difference between Logic Test and Application Test in Xcode?
- Hide the status bar in ios 9
- Iphone UIButton background color
- How to get a UITableViewCell from one of its subviews
- How to prevent duplicate entry on parse?