The document “MainStoryBoard.storyboard” could not be opened

8 Solutions Collect From Internet About “The document “MainStoryBoard.storyboard” could not be opened”

Try to make sure all the UILabels in the storyboard are using plain text

UILabel text attribute = PLAIN

This solve the problem for me after almost 4 hours of trying everything!!!!

And also make sure you have installed on your system the fonts you are trying to use.

We had this problem today – a remote developer could not open a storyboard that worked fine on two machines here. Xcode 4.5.1 and iOS 6.0.

I opened the storyboard file in BBEdit and used the “Zap Gremlins” command. It found several gremlins, all in a few attributed strings (that we were styling as a frill, not at all necessary). I closed BBEdit without saving, went back into Xcode, and removed these strings from the storyboard file. Xcode is now able to open the storyboard.

Kunal Balani has the right answer. It wasn’t that attributed text was adding bad info into the Storyboard. It was that the other machine didn’t have the font files installed.

Custom fonts that were used by the attributed label was missing on the target machine. Installing the font solved the issue for me. Thx Kunal

I had the same problem when i copied a project from one MAC to another. Finally i discover that i need to install some fonts that were being use in the story board.

convert the All UILabels in the storyboard are using plain text

In my case the storyboard file had somehow ended up with execute permissions:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 Luna staff 106K Oct 28 00:07 Main.storyboard

Comparing this to other storyboard files in my project it was clear that was abnormal. Running chmod -x Main.storyboard fixed the problem:

-rw-r--r-- 1 Luna staff 106K Oct 28 00:07 Main.storyboard

For me editing the storyboard didn’t solve the problem. The only thing that worked was to create a new storyboard file, open the old and the new storyboards as source code (right click -> open as), and copy the xml from the old to the new storyboard. I didn’t take the whole xml, just the scope of the <scenes> </scenes>